Saturday 16 June 2007

Perth und Fremantle - 05. - 11. 02. '07

Perth and Swan River, View from Kings Park





Barrack Square near Swan River
Christina (she is from Germany, too) and me


Tja, und dann, vier Tage spaeter, wir haben jetzt schon den 05. 02. 2007, bestiegen wir den Flieger, der uns nach Perth bringen sollte. Gluecklicher weise fand ich dort noch ein Hostel in Northbridge, dem noerdlichen Ausgehviertel von Perth, in dem ich die naechsten Tage unterkommen konnte. In Perth selbst, habe ich nur ca. 2 Tage verbracht, einen der 6 Tage an der Westkueste nutzte ich, um den Sueden dieser Gegend zu sehen (Valley of the Giants / Tree Top Walk), einen anderen, um den noerdlichen Teil um Perth (Pinnacles / Nambung NP), zu betrachten.



Zum Wochenende dann kaufte ich mir ein Ticket nach Fremantle, wo ich bis Sonntag eine schoene Zeit verbrachte. Von dort aus ist es nicht weit bis nach Rottnest Island, wo man sich Fahrraeder ausleihen und so bequem die gesamte Insel auskundschaften kann - vorausgesetzt, man erwischt ein gutes Fahrrad und kann einen ganzen Tag auf dem Drahtesel verkraften. Rottnest ist bekannt fuer seine Quokkas (Baumkaenguruhs), die Anfangs mit Ratten verwechselt wurden, daher dann auch der Name der Insel. Uebringens ist mir dort meine zweite australische Schlage begegnet.



Valley of the Giants and Tree Top Walk, 06. 02. 07:


Diamond Tree Lookout



Tree Top Walk



Well, then, another four days later, it is the fourth of Febuary, we entered the plain to Perth. Thank God, I finally found a Hostel in Northbridge, a northern suburb with a great nightlife. I slept there the following days. The hostel itself wasn't that interesting. A bit dirty and used, but I met a few nice people there, so it was worth. Unfortunately I spent just two days on sightseeing in Perth itself, one day I seized to see the south of the area (Tree Top Walk) and another one, to see the north (Yanchep NP and Pinnacles / Nambung NP).

Yanchep NP and Nambung NP:

Kangaroos in Yanchep NP

Emily, our "Kiwi"-Tour - Guide and me

Pinnacles, Nambung NP




For the following weekend I bought a ferry ticket to Fremantle, were I spent a great time till sunday. It is not far from Fremantle to Rottnest Island, were bikes can be hired to explore the small island by a quiet convenient way (as long as you get a good bike and don't mind cycling the whole day). Rottnest is famous for Quokkas (Tree Kangaroos), which were taken for rats by the first explorers of the island. So, the name of it. By the way, there I met my second australian snake.

Snake on Rottnest Island...

Beach on Rottnest Island

Quokka


Beach on Rottest Island with my new towel

So, und dann ging es wieder in den Flieger. "Danke Emily" fuer's Fahren und den schoenen Abend in Fremantle!

Damian war dann auch noch so nett, mich am Sydney'er Flughafen abzuholen. Er, seine Freundin Lise und ich sind dann - im stroemenden Regen - noch ein Eis an der Promenade von Coogee Beach essen gegangen und dann bin ich totmuede auf meiner Matratze in Damian's und Heath's Appartment eingeschlafen.



And again I bailed. "Thank you, Emily!" for driving and the nice evening we spent together in Fremantle.


Back in Sydney, Damian was so nice to pick me up at the airport. He, his girlfriend Lise and myself, went - in the pouring rain - to Coogee Beach having some ice cream at the promenade. After that I dropped really tired on my matress in Damo's an Heath's appartment.


Seitdem habe ich meine Zeit hier genutzt, um Bewerbungen zu schreiben und Vorstellungsgespraeche wahr zu nehmen - und natuerlich habe ich schon einige Stadtteile, Straende, Parks und Maerkte besucht.
Since that, I seized my time here in Sydney to write applications, go to interviews and - of course - I have seen a few suburbs, beaches, parks and markets, so far.